The history ofČeská zbrojovka Uhersky Brod dates back to 1936, when it was established as a branch plant of Česká zbrojovka located in town of Strakonice, based on a political decision of the National Defence Council. On 2 January 1937 production of a combined range of military and civilian arms commenced. The first products were aircraft machine guns, military pistols and smallbore rifles. During the Nazi occupation period the plant was forced to produce and repair military arms.
From 1945 the plant returned to the combined range of military and civilian arms, with an equal share of time going into the production of each.
In 1990 production for the last project for the Czechoslovak armed units ceased and the newly available capacity was put to full use in expanding production of arms for hunting and sporting purposes, as well asexports for armed police and military units.
CZ products are imported exclusively by CZ-USA, a wholly owned subsidiary of the parent company, Ceska Zbrojovka a.s. Uhersky Brod, (CZUB) of the Czech Republic.
CZ-USA in early 2005 acquired Dan Wesson Firearms and is now managing it as a part of the CZ corporate group.